Thursday, February 02, 2006

Writing for Children - goats always popular


The Three Billy Goats Gruff
"Whose that tripping over my Bridge?" roared the Troll
Children love goats and they also love stories.
But to write a good children's story is an art. Getting published, even harder.
Because a children's story is short, it looks easy - but I assure you, it's not!
I've written a few children's stories - but never sold any.
The problem is, the of type story I write, is the type I listened to when I was a girl.
Now that was some time ago!
Today's kids live in a different world to the one I grew up in - they face different challenges - learn different things.
Consequently, the stories they read must appear within the sphere of their world.
Writers who have discovered that special link to the childhood imagination are lucky. With the right formula they are in demand from both readers and publishers.
In the meantime, I think I'll stick with the adult stories and the goats!

Photo: M Muir - Three of my angora bucks at Bluegum Park in Western Australia - visit my goat site at http://www.squidoo.com/goatlady

No comments: